School Board Notes • July 3, 2012 Vol. XXXVI No. 1
Anti-Bullying Funding Falls Short of Requests
- The $1 million state fund to offset school districts’ costs of implementing anti-bullying programs has fallen far short of demand, as school districts will receive only 20 percent of the amount requested.
State Budget Wrap
- The state budget process officially ended last Friday with Gov. Chris Christie making line-item cuts to the $31.7 billion appropriations bill for fiscal 2012-13. However, direct aid for public schools remained unchanged from the amounts the governor recommended in February.
Bill Would Remedy November-Election Issue
- A bill would shore up the lag time between the deadline for a candidate to submit paperwork to run for school board in the General Election and the time the election is held. The legislation reflects a goal set by NJSBA's Delegate Assembly in May.
Workshop Registration Now Open
- Online registration is now open Workshop 2012, which will offer more than 150 training programs and other learning opportunities from Oct. 23-25.
Online Radio Explores Proposed Changes Open Meetings & Records Laws
- NJSBA’s next online radio program features differing perspectives on proposed changes to the Sunshine Law and Open Public Records Act. The proposal would have board committees adhere to the Sunshine Law, require all meetings to be recorded, and ban texting by members during meetings.
Survey Results: Unpaid School Lunch Debt Presents Problems for Districts
- More than half of respondents to the most recent 30-Second Survey in School Board Notes say unpaid student lunch debt is a new or chronic issue.
NSBA: New Analysis on School Nutrition Costs Is Misleading
- The National School Boards Association says a recent report about school food programs contains misleading information.
- Images taken from a recent program, Leaders at Liberty, held at the Liberty Science Center in Hudson County.
Obituary: Charles Allbee, Evesham Township
- Charles A. Allbee, a school board member in Burlington County for 35 years and an NJSBA Board of Directors member, died July 2 in Marlton. He was 86.
NJSBA Executive Committee to Meet
- The New Jersey School Boards Association’s Executive Committee will meet July 11 in Trenton.
- NJSBA Summer Schedule
- NJSBA has implemented its summer schedule for both the office scheduling of staff members and the publication of School Board Notes.
School Board Notes Resources