School Board Notes • July 17, 2012 Vol. XXXVI No. 2
New Charter Schools Approved; Virtual Charter Schools Delayed a Year
- The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) announced the approval of nine charter schools that will open in September. However two "virtual" charter schools were granted approval for a "planning year," rather than permission to open in the fall.
Comptroller Finds Non-Compliance with 2007 Pension Law
- A study by the New Jersey State Comptroller has found instances of state pension system participation by professional service contractors for municipalities and school districts—contrary to a 2007 law that prohibits their continued membership in the plans.
School Bus Law Signed
- On July 12, New Jersey Acting Governor Kim Guadagno signed S-618, legislation which requires school bus safety measures for adult passengers with disabilities.
NSBA Honors Pascack Valley's Technology Initiative
- The National School Boards Association's Technology Leadership Network (TLN) has named the Pascack Valley Regional High School District in Montvale as the 2012 TLN Salute District for its focus on technology innovations that promote student achievement.
30-Second Survey: Random Drug Testing in Schools
- Schools have been permitted to conduct random drug testing on students since the 1990s. The 30-Second Survey asks readers about random drug testing.
Ready for Negotiations? NJSBA's Labor Relations Programs Can Help
- NJSBA's Labor Relations department is offering programs in August and September to help board members get ready to bargain with their employee unions.
Summer Legislator Meetings Being Scheduled
- Each summer, NJSBA governmental relations staff members set up meetings with state and federal-level legislators to discuss issues of concern to local school boards. Join our staff at these meetings and help advocate for public education.
Workshop Keynote Speaker on "The Magic of Education"
- Workshop 2012 participants will have the opportunity to hear a keynote address by Bill Riggs on Wednesday, Oct. 24. Riggs, an inspirational speaker, uses humor and the power of illusion to entertain and motivate his audience.
School Lighting Upgrade Program
- The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities' (BPU) School Lighting Initiative will provide schools with cash to replace old T-12 fluorescent fixtures with more energy efficient lighting.
Galloway Program on Energy Saving Measures
- A July 23 program will acquaint school and municipal officials with information on how they can save residents money on energy bills without using tax dollars.
NJSBA Seeks Proposals for Multimedia Production Support
- The New Jersey School Boards Association is seeking proposals from qualified companies and individuals to provide multimedia production support including creative process, storyboarding, scriptwriting and editing, logistics and production support and video production. Proposals are due by 3 pm July 25, 2012. Additional information is available here or by contacting Michael Melando via email or at (609) 278-5274.
School Board Notes Resources