School Board Notes • August 14, 2012 • Vol. XXXVI No. 4
The New Tenure Law: What Board Members Need to Know
- In the first substantial reform of teacher tenure laws in over a century, Gov. Chris Christie on Aug. 6 signed into law the TEACHNJ Act.
NJDOE Launches Regional Achievement Centers for Low-Performing Schools
- On Tuesday, the New Jersey Department of Education announced the launch of seven Regional Achievement Centers (RACs) that will work with schools that have been identified as Priority and Focus schools.
Additional Funding for Districts with 'Significant' Enrollment Growth
- On Aug. 7 Gov. Chris Christie signed a measure that provides an additional $4.14 million to 13 school districts with significant enrollment growth.
NJSBA Submits Testimony at Special Education Hearings
- In testimony before the Senate Education Committee, NJSBA discussed problems, obstacles and cost drivers that schools face in in the area of special education.
NJSBA Collaborates with Education Department on Workshop Programming
- The state Department of Education will present several programs at Workshop 2012 addressing recent issues such as teacher evaluations, core standards, bullying and Regional Achievement Centers.
Education Department Loses Hespe, Two Other Key Officials
- In the past few weeks, Education Commissioner Christopher Cerf lost three key staff members, while welcoming a new director of educator evaluation.
Additional Summer Meetings Scheduled with Legislators
- School board members are urged to attend summertime meetings that NJSBA has arranged with state legislators. New meetings have been added to the schedule.
NJSBA Welcomes New Field Service Representative
- Alfred Annunziata recently joined the staff of NJSBA as a field service representative. He will be serving boards in Bergen County.
Association Programs Help Districts in Negotiations
- To help boards prepare for the coming round of labor negotiations, NJSBA is offering a series of training programs.
Sept. 7 is Deadline to Nominate Board Member of Year
- Nominations for the New Jersey's 2012 Board Member of the Year Award must be received by NJSBA by 5 p.m. Sept. 7.
Reminder: Email Addresses Subject to OPRA
- As the result of a complaint filed against NJSBA in September, board members' email addresses on file with the Association – whether district-issued, workplace or personal – are now subject to Open Public Records Act requests. Members may change their current email address on file with NJSBA.
Obituary: Edward 'Milt' Smith
- Edward "Milt" Smith, a former school board member and mayor of Delaware Township in Hunterdon County, died Aug. 2. He was 94.
School Board Notes Resources