School Board Notes • August 28, 2012 • Vol. XXXVI No. 5
Teacher-Evaluation Regulations: Boards Have Long "To-Do" List
- School boards and administrators will need to perform numerous duties in the coming school year before the new teacher-evaluation system is implemented in 2013-2014. The new educator evaluations are central to the tenure reform law that was enacted earlier this month.
NJSBA Offers Regional Training on Tenure Reform Law
- During the second week of September, NJSBA will offer programs in Bergen, Burlington and Salem counties to provide school officials with important information on the state's new tenure-reform law.
Interdistrict Choice Offerings Expand
- State officials are touting the expansion of the Interdistrict School Choice program from the current level of 3,357 students to more than 6,000 students in 2013-2014.
Meetings with Legislators Continue into September
- NJSBA's summertime meetings between legislators and school board members, which have been taking place throughout August, continues with several more meetings in September.
Mandated Training Available at Workshop 2012
- Workshop 2012, the premiere training conference for local education officials to be held in October, will allow many school board members to fulfill their mandated training requirement.
Board Member of Year Deadline Quickly Approaching
- Want to nominate a colleague for Board Member of the Year? September 7 is the deadline.
NJSBA Welcomes New Field Service Representative
- Bernard Baggs recently joined the NJSBA staff as a field service representative. He will be serving school boards in Morris, Essex and Hudson counties.
Survey Results: Random Drug Testing in Schools
- The most recent 30-Second Survey asked readers about random drug testing policies and attitudes about such policies.
Online Radio Features Assembly Leader
- Assembly Minority Leader Jon Bramnick will be featured Sept. 5 on NJSBA's online radio program for a discussion of education reform.
Poll Finds Strong Support for Schools
- The latest Phi Delta Kappa/Gallup poll on public education finds citizens strongly support their public schools, but are divided about the concept of school choice.
Program on Green School Financing Slated for Sept. 14
- A Sept. 14 seminar will address green schools, energy-savings programs, and incentives for solar, wind and geothermal technologies.
NJSBA Executive Committee to Meet
- The Association's Executive Committee will meet Sept. 4 at NJSBA headquarters in Trenton.
Notice of NJSBA Audit Committee
- NJSBA's Audit Committee will meet Sept. 14 in West Windsor.
School Board Notes Resources