School Board Notes • September 11, 2012 • Vol. XXXVI No. 7
State Task Force Calls for Less Regulation
- The governor's Education Transformation Task Force issued its final report, calling for the elimination or amendment of 428 regulations and 46 statutes. The task force was asked to ferret out overly prescriptive regulations and identify ways to improve the accountability process.
State Commission OKs 14.7% Increase in School Health Premiums
- The commission that governs the state-operated School Employees' Health Benefits Program has authorized premium increases of 14.7 percent for the calendar year beginning January 2013. This follows the 10 percent increase that went into effect this past January.
Workshop Registration Deadline is Oct.10
- NJSBA strongly advises that school business administrators register their members for the annual Workshop training conference by Oct. 10 to avoid lines and delays. After that date, only on-site Workshop registration will be accepted.
Online Radio Features Special Education Law Expert
- The Sept. 21 broadcast of Conversations on New Jersey Education will feature Nathanya Simon, a school board attorney with expertise in special education law. Simon is an author and a frequent presenter at state and national conferences.
- Survey: Community Engagement
- School Board Notes is keeping open the 30-Second Survey to generate additional insight about efforts that school districts use to engage the public – and which ones are the most effective.
Meetings with Legislators
- NJSBA discussed education issues with Sen. Joseph Pennacchio during one of a number of meetings the Association has arranged with state legislator is in August and September. Three more meetings are scheduled this month.
- The Monmouth County School Boards Association was talking about technology at its Sept. 6 meeting in Howell Township.
NJSBA Resolutions Subcommittee to Meet
- NJSBA's Resolutions Subcommittee will meet on Sept. 29 in Trenton to act on two resolutions proposed for the Delegate Assembly in November.
School Board Notes Resources