School Board Notes • September 18, 2012 • Vol. XXXVI No. 8
Feinsod Named NJSBA Executive Director
- Dr. Lawrence Feinsod, an educator and public school advocate for more than 40 years, has been named Executive Director of the New Jersey School Boards Association following a nationwide search. He will succeed Marie S. Bilik, who announced her retirement in May.
Online Radio Features Commissioner Cerf
- Education Commissioner Christopher Cerf will be the guest on NJSBA's online radio program, Conversations on New Jersey Education. The program will air live at 1:30 p.m. Sept. 26.
Video: Program Teaches New Generation about 9/11
- Teachers throughout New Jersey have struggled for years with approaches to teach about the events of September 11. But new resources are available, through a new service-learning program was introduced last week in Allendale.
Court Addresses Seniority Regulation
- An appeals court upheld a commissioner's decision dealing with categories of seniority, after a K-5 teacher was laid off before a teacher with less teaching experience.
Cost-Saving Programs Showcased at Workshop
- Over the years, NJSBA has developed cost-saving opportunities for school boards in areas such as energy, technology, fee payments and healthcare accounts. Those programs will be featured next month at Workshop 2012, the major training program for local school officials.
Survey Results: Community Engagement
- The most recent 30-Second Survey asked school officials to share their most successful strategies to engage the community.
- Images from recent training programs in Burlington and Union counties on the new tenure reform law.
Legislative Committee Meets
- NJSBA's Legislative Committee met Saturday in Trenton to welcome new members and discuss emerging legislative issues that could impact New Jersey's local boards of education.
Obituary: Emma Painter
- Emma Magdalina Painter, a member of the Clayton Board of Education since 2002, died Sept. 12. She was 77.
Board of Directors Highlights
- A summary of action at NJSBA's Board of Directors meeting that was held Sept. 14 in West Windsor.
School Board Notes Resources