School Board Notes • September 25, 2012 • Vol. XXXVI No. 9
Bill Would Establish Pilot Program for Longer School Day, School Year
- A Senate panel advanced a bill this week to create a three-year pilot program in 25 districts to lengthen the school day and school year. The goal of the measure is to study the effects that a longer school day and school year would have on student achievement.
Ethics Commission Increases Restrictions on Superintendent Searches
- The state School Ethics Commission ruled that school board members who have a relative working in the district cannot take part in the search, selection or vote for a new superintendent. The commission's recent ruling reversed its previous positions.
New Law Requires Defibrillators in Schools
- Gov. Chris Christie last week signed "Janet's Law," a bill requiring all schools to have defibrillators on site by September 2014. The law is named after Janet Zilinski, an 11-year-old who died of sudden cardiac arrest following cheerleading practice.
Voters Approve $13.8 Million in School Construction
- Voters on Monday approved two of the three bond referendums for a total of $13.88 million in school construction, according to NJSBA. Construction proposals were approved in Ridgefield and Princeton.
Workshop 2012 to Feature Sustainability and STEM Programs
- In response to the growing interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and sustainability in schools, next month's Workshop 2012 conference will prominently feature a STEM and Sustainability exhibition on the Exhibit Floor of the Atlantic City Convention Center.
Survey: Ads on Buses
- This week's 30-Second Survey asks: Are your district buses carrying ads as well as students this year?
NJSBA Welcomes New County Activities Coordinator
- Kurt Rebovich recently joined the NJSBA staff as a county activities coordinator. He will be serving school boards in northern New Jersey.
Meetings with Legislators
- School board members met with their state lawmakers last week, as part of a series of meetings between board members and legislators that NJSBA arranged throughout August and September.
Executive Committee to Meet
- NJSBA's Executive Committee will meet Oct. 2 in Trenton.
School Board Notes Resources