School Board Notes • October 16, 2012 • Vol. XXXVI No. 12
Roosen Named New Jersey's Board Member of the Year
- Debra Roosen of the North Hunterdon-Voorhees Regional High School Board of Education is New Jersey's Board Member of the Year. Roosen has more than two decades of experience on school boards.
NJSBA Opposes Cut in Federal Education Funding for New Jersey
- By January 2, 2013, federal education funding for New Jersey is scheduled to drop by $85 million as part of the Budget Control Act of 2011. Local boards are urged to join NJSBA in opposing the cuts.
District Deadline Looms on State's New Educator Evaluation System
- By Oct. 31 school boards must create a District Evaluation Advisory Committee, which will oversee the implementation of the district's educator evaluation policies. Districts must also implement training on principal evaluations.
Workshop's 2012 Update: Exhibit Floor Theater is Packed with Special Programming
- Don't miss the exciting events taking place at Workshop 2012 at the TD Bank Theater in the Exhibit Hall, including remarks by the Education Commissioner, a keynote speaker, a Mock School Board Meeting, award presentations and introductions. Also, state legislators discuss current issues.
30-Second Survey: Waiting for Workshop
- Workshop 2012 is just one week away. This week's survey asks readers what topics they're most interested in learning about at the conference.
Regional STEM Programs to be Held in November, December
- NJSBA is sponsoring a series of five regional programs in November and December – dubbed "STEM 101" – to provide local school board members with crucial information about cultivating programs on science, technology, engineering and mathematics in school.
- Photographs from recent county school boards association meetings in Essex and Hunterdon
Online Radio Program Tackles Teacher Tenure and Evaluations
- The next broadcast of Conversations on New Jersey Education, NJSBA's online radio program, will be on "Implementing New Jersey's New Teacher Tenure Reforms."
Board of Directors Highlights
- A summary of actions taken at NJSBA's Board of Directors meeting that was held Oct. 12 at NJSBA's Trenton headquarters.
School Board Notes Resources