School Board Notes • May 21, 2013 • Vol. XXXVI No. 41
Privatization, Binding Arbitration Bills Head to Governor
- NJSBA is calling on local board members to contact the governor to express their opposition to two union-backed bills dealing with privatization and binding arbitration.
Reflections: Helping Oklahoma
- New Jersey’s education community has an opportunity to help those affected by a destructive tornado near Oklahoma City, which left students at an elementary school among the casualties.
Delegate Assembly Addresses Superintendent Salary Caps, Firearms, Elections
- NJSBA’s Delegate Assembly called for a study into the impact of superintendent salary caps, showed support for vigorous enforcement of gun laws, and called on municipalities to inform school boards when school election dates are changed.
Deadline Approaches for Legislative Day
- June 3 is the deadline to register for the NJSBA and the New Jersey Parent Teacher Association’s 2013 Legislative Day, which will be held June 6 in Trenton.
Last Call for Workshop Training Proposals
- School officials who would like to share their experience and expertise with colleagues by giving a training program at Workshop 2013 have until May 31 to submit a program proposal.
Teacher-Evaluation Forums Begin Next Week
- NJSBA is hosting free regional forums designed specifically for school board members on the statewide teacher and principal evaluation system, which is slated to be implemented September 2013.
Survey: Change in the School Calendar?
- This week’s 30-Second Survey asks whether boards needed to add days to adjust their school calendar in the wake of Superstorm Sandy.
Webinar Focuses on Energy Savings Improvement Programs
- A June 10 webinar will discuss how schools can use Energy Savings Improvement Programs to leverage future energy savings to pay for building and equipment upgrades.
NJSBA Recognizes Board Member Academy Achievements
- At its May 17 meeting, NJSBA’s Board of Directors honored four local school boards which earned Board Certification or Recertification under the NJSBA Board Member Academy.
- Images from recent meetings of the Morris and Salem County School Boards Associations.
Position Vacancy: Field Service Representative
- NJSBA seeks to fill the position of field service representative for Essex, Hudson and Morris counties.
Board of Directors Highlights
- NJSBA’s Board of Directors met May 17 in West Windsor.
School Board Notes Resources