Ten New Jersey schools will be honored for creative special education programming through the fifth annual Innovations in Special Education Program. A ceremony to recognize the schools will take place during a special event on May 12 in Somerset.
Since 2002, the New Jersey School Boards Association and ASAH…serving the private special education community since 1974 have sponsored the Innovations program in conjunction with Special Education Week in New Jersey.
The 10 selected programs include
- Souper Thursday, Absecon School District
- Teaching Adolescents & Young Adults with Autism to Access Schedule on a Palm Pilot, Alpine Learning Group
- Self-Advocacy: Empowerment, River Vale Public Schools
- Soaring with Signs, The Children’s Institute
- The Soup-er Heroes of Secondary 6, Middlesex Regional Educational Services Commission
- “Show Me,” Hanover Township School District
- Little Historians, Mount Olive Township School District
- Self-Advocacy Training, Mountain Lakes School District
- Classroom at the Aquarium, Point Pleasant Beach Public Schools
- Building Bridges Through Music, Vernon Township School District
Statewide Event A panel of judges representing NJSBA, ASAH and the state Department of Education selected the 10 programs from among 76 entries. Judges selected the honorees based on innovation, effectiveness, parental/community involvement, and evaluation strategies.
This year’s selected program will be honored on May 12 during a ceremony at a statewide event to usher in Special Education Week in New Jersey 2006 (May 14-20). The event will take place at the High Road School in Somerset.
Success Stories “Innovations in Special Education lets New Jersey citizens know about the exciting programs and services our schools provide for students with special needs,” explained Patti Pawling, NJSBA president.
Said Gracanne Hinksi-Ryan, ASAH president, “The programs submitted to Innovations in Special Education represent the high level of services we provide and should be recognized in the local school community.”