The safety of our schoolchildren is of paramount importance to all people in the education community. The tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut has prompted school districts to reassess security measures in place in their facilities. The New Jersey School Boards Association has created the School Security Resources web page with the goal of assisting school officials in the process.
View the October 23rd update on the work of NJSBA's School Security Task Force. PowerPoint presentation also available.
State and Federal Resources
Safe and Secure Schools: NJSBA sponsored “Safe and Secure Schools: Perspectives after Newtown” at The College of New Jersey in January 2013. Below are videos and resources:
- The Essential Connection Between a Safe School Climate and Student Success - Keynote address by Dr. Maurice J. Elias, director of clinical training in Rutgers University’s Department of Psychology and former director of New Jersey’s Developing Safe and Civil Schools Initiative (View the PowerPoint presentation)
- State School Security Procedures and Requirements - Video of the first panel featuring Ronald Susswein, Assistant Attorney General; Anthony Bland, State Coordinator, Office of School Preparedness and Emergency Planning; and Raymond J. Hayducka, President of the New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police and South Brunswick Township Police Chief
- Safety and Security at the School Building Level - Video of the second panel discussion with Dr. Christopher Manno, Chief Education Officer, Burlington Township Public Schools; Christopher Brown, Director of Security, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital; Dr. Michael Wanko, Principal, Piscataway High School and author of ‘Safe Schools: Crisis Prevention and Response’; Marty Kalbach, Director, New Jersey School Boards Association Insurance Group (Additional resources: Crisis preparedness checklist, Physical risk reduction checklist, Safe & Secure Schools program guide)
NJSBA Policy: School Safety and Security Plans – NJSBA’s Policy Department provides guidance on what school board policy should include
A Parents’ Forum: Documents from the NJSBA program “Safe & Secure Schools: A Parents’ Forum,” Paramus, NJ (March 2013)
- Slideshow: The PowerPoint slideshow of the presentation in Paramus
- Script: Text by Raymond Wiss, NJSBA past president and host of the Paramus program