In accordance with NJSBA bylaws, a proposed slate of officers selected by the Nominating Committee will be presented to the delegates for their vote at the annual meeting on May 18, 2019. According to guidelines set by the NJSBA Board of Directors, candidates for NJSBA officer positions are to receive publicity in School Board Notes. All information is provided by the candidates.
The Nominating Committee has selected the following school board members for election by the delegates to serve as NJSBA officers during 2019-2021:
President: Michael R. McClure, Maple Shade Board of Education, Burlington County; Vice President for County Activities: Bruce R. Young, Carlstadt-East Rutherford Board of Education, Bergen County; Vice President for Finance: Tammeisha D. Smith, Knowlton Township Board of Education, Warren County; and Vice President for Legislation/Resolutions: Karen Cortellino, Montville Township Board of Education, Morris County.
NJSBA bylaws also provide a process for candidates to be nominated by petition. No nominating petitions were received by the NJSBA by the April 3 deadline.
Michael R. McClure, President
Candidate statement: I would like to maintain the forward progress the Association has made in improving its finances while continuing to improve board member training to our members across the state. As president, I would help guide the executive team so that we can move our state government to provide better all-round support for boards of education across New Jersey. I want to continue working with our outstanding Executive Director, Larry Feinsod, and the wonderful staff that makes the magic happen in the end. My leadership skills at the local, county and state levels will allow me to lead a strong, effective team at the NJSBA, so that we can work together for a stronger future for New Jersey education and our children. My resume shows I am fully committed to education and to the children of New Jersey.
Local Board Activities
- Maple Shade Board of Education, 19 years; president, four years; vice president, four years.
- Committees: Facilities chair; Negotiations chair; Policy chair; Finance chair, Personnel and Curriculum.
- Delegate, NJSBA, and Burlington County School Boards Association.
- Burlington County SBA president for two terms, vice president, three terms.
- Member, Burlington County Regionalization/Consolidation Task Force.
- Vice President for Finance four years.
- Trustee, ELFNJ.
- NJSBA Board of Directors, eight years; alternate to NJSBA Board of Directors, two years.
- Committees: Facilities Needs and Assessment; Audit, chair; Finance; Nominating; NJSIAA representative.
- NJSBA Board Member Academy: Certificated Board Member, Master Board Member and Certified Board Leader.
- NSBA Nominating Committee.
- Nominating Committee for the Northeast Region.
- Currently have eight college credits in business management, and more than 150 additional education credits.
- I have been with my company for 32 years. I started as a fleet mechanic and worked my way to Assistant Corporation Fleet Manager, overseeing more than 4,500 vehicles in 27 locations, as well as a budget of millions of dollars.
- President of Maple Shade Township Recreation Board for more than 15 years.
- Helped start a youth wrestling program in town and ran program for 15 years.
Bruce R. Young, Vice President for County Activities
Candidate statement: I am seeking the position of Vice President for County Activities because I am committed to the advancement of public education, and I believe my qualifications and years of experience make me the right fit for this role. I am very approachable, organized and willing to devote the time and expertise needed to be successful in the enhancement of the education field. During my service on the Bergen County School Boards Association (BCSBA), I have committed myself to visiting all Bergen County district meetings. I have also implemented a Bergen County President’s breakfast where issues, best practices and concerns are shared. My vision is for the BCSBA to become an even stronger group on both individual and organizational levels. I promote training and education to each board member I encounter and advocate for the programs and training opportunities offered by the New Jersey School Boards Association. In summary, I am confident that my experience and my longevity of service to various school boards and community organizations will be an asset if allowed to serve as the Vice President for County Activities.
Local Board Activities
- Carlstadt Board of Education, 1990 to 2008. Elected President for two terms. Member of various committees including finance, negotiations, shared services, building and grounds, and policy. Played an instrumental role in the passing of a referendum to build the new Carlstadt Public School.
- Carlstadt-East Rutherford Regional Board of Education, 2002 to 2008. Elected President for two terms. Chair of finance, negotiation, policy, and building and grounds committees. Key involvement in the acquisition of funding through the FAA and Port Authority for the soundproofing of Becton Regional High School.
- Elected again to the Carlstadt Board of Education. Served as President, 2012 to 2018.
- Elected again to the Carlstadt East Rutherford Regional Board of Education in 2018.
- Elected to the Bergen County School Boards Association. Served as Vice President, 2013 to 2017.
- President of the Bergen County School Boards Association, 2018 to present.
- Appointed to the Board of Directors of New Jersey School Boards Association 2015 to 2016.
- Appointed to New Jersey School Boards Association’s Finance Committee (2015 to present).
- School Board Member of the Year Oct. 2017 to Oct. 2018.
- East Rutherford High School, East Rutherford, N.J.
- Deputy Zoning official, January 2015 to present.
- Carlstadt Director of Public Works, January 2014-15.
- Carlstadt Senior Friendship Club, 2013 to present. President, 2016 to 2018.
- Carlstadt VFW and American Legion, 1975 to present.
Tammeisha D. Smith, Vice President for Finance
Candidate statement: The constitution of the state of New Jersey dictates that it is the responsibility of the state to ensure that each child receives a thorough and efficient education. In addition, the mission of the NJSBA is to provide training, advocacy and support to advance public education and promote the achievement of all students through effective governance. As a member of NJSBA, it is my honor and privilege to serve my community and state in ensuring these doctrines are carried out. I believe my years of advocacy and professional experience make me a quality candidate for the NJSBA Executive Board. I look forward to ensuring our children receive more than a thorough education to compete in a global economy, and helping our districts fiscally meet those responsibilities. Having a personal understanding of the challenges faced by both the urban and rural districts would allow me to effectively work with the diverse group of committed fellow board members throughout the state.
Local Board Activities
- Board member, Knowlton Township Board of Education, Warren County, 2010-2011. Served on the Policy Committee.
- Board Vice President, 2012-2013. Member, Finance, Policy and Contract Negotiations Committees. Delegate Assembly.
- Board President, 2014 to present. Finance, Facilities and Contract Negotiations Committees. Delegate Assembly.
County Level Positions
- Vice President, Warren County School Boards Association, 2017 to present. Served on Legislative Committee.
- Legislative and Finance Committees, 2017 to present.
- Certified Board Member, May 2018.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA), Trinity College & University.
- Chief Executive Officer, Dunbar Center.
- Insurance Consultant, Fairview Insurance Agency.
- Governor Appointee to N.J. Department of Health – Office on Minority and Multicultural Health Board Member.
- Saint Michael’s Medical Center – Community Advisory Board.
- United Negro College Fund (UNCF) N.J. Leadership Council.
Karen Cortellino, M.D., Vice President for Legislation/Resolutions
Candidate’s statement: I have served at leadership levels on my local school board and in the County Association. I would like to serve and contribute at the state level by serving as the NJSBA Vice President for Legislation/Resolutions. I have developed relationships with state legislators in my capacity as President of my local school board, as President of the Morris County School Boards Association (MCSBA) and as a member of the MCSBA Legislative Committee. I believe I will be a strong voice and advocate for public schools in our state. I look forward to serving in this crucial position.
Local Board Activities
- Member Montville Township Board of Education, May 2006 to present.
- Served as board president, May 2010-January 2016.
- Served on every standing board committee and various ad hoc committees.
- Served on four MTEA teacher negotiations, chairing this year’s, when the board committee recently reached an amicable settlement.
County Level Activities
- Morris County School Board Association, President, 2013 – present.
- May 2006 to present. Active member.
- May 2008-April 2010 — Board of Directors.
- May 2010-May 2013 – Vice President.
- March 2014 – Master Board Member.
- March 2015 – Certificated Board Leader.
- Invited to participate in NJSBA Strategic Planning 2018-2020, Sept. 9 and Oct. 6, 2017.
- Post Graduate Training: Maryland General Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Medical School: Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico.
- Undergraduate College: Queens College of the City University of New York, New York.
- July 2013 – present: Pink Breast Center, an imaging facility dedicated to breast and women’s imaging.
- Chair, 2018 Montville Good Scout Award.