NJSBA has updated the following model policies and legal references:
1250 Visitors This policy was updated to include the requirements of N.J.S.A. 18A:7G-5.2 that the board of education/trustees adopt policies and procedures that clearly indicate that propping open doors is strictly prohibited, and that students and staff shall not open a door for anyone. All persons seeking entry to the building shall be directed to the main entrance. A bullet list was added to the model policy that sets forth the new requirements
2130 Principal Evaluation The model policy and regulation were updated to be more consistent with the current administrative code. There were minor changes throughout the documents.
5131.1 Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying This policy was updated to reflect the changes to N.J.A.C. 6A:17-7.7. The changes are effective July 1, 2018 and include the following:
- A statement that bullying may involve an actual or perceived power imbalance;
- Consequences and remediation must factor in the nature of a student’s disability;
- Schools are required to investigate reported incidents of HIB involving students attending private schools for students with disabilities (PSSD), when such incidents occur on a district school bus or at a district/charter-sponsored event;
- New rules for PSSD reporting requirements, keeping the district/charter informed of incidents and the subsequent investigations involving charter students that happen at the PSSD;
- Hearing requirements for board appeal of HIB incidents that occur at the PSSD.
In addition, discretionary (optional) content was added for the code provision that allows the principal, or his or her designee, in consultation with the anti-bullying specialist, to make a preliminary determination if a reported incident qualifies as HIB. This provision is only in the administrative code and not in the statute. Boards selecting this option should confer with their attorney.
You may directly download these policy updates from the Critical Policy Reference Manual (CPRM) district or charter versions or the Policy Update List on your password protected Policy Resources webpage.You may also contact a policy consultant at (609)278-5268 or email: Jean Harkness, policy consultant, or Steve McGettigan, policy manager.