Board members and school districts can access on-demand webinar recordings from the October 2020 Virtual Workshop through Oct. 19, 2021. There is still time to learn about budgeting, remote board administration, school sustainability, cybersecurity, education law, and more — all from the comfort of your home or office, and on your own time.
“There is a wealth of valuable information available to board members and educators who registered for Virtual Workshop last October,” said NJSBA Executive Director Dr. Lawrence S. Feinsod. “We invite Workshop participants to take advantage of the critical information while it remains available online.”
From Budgets to Bidding, Virtual Workshop 2020 Tackled Pressing Topics
NJSBA encourages viewing the sessions from the last Virtual Workshop Conference. Sample topics include:
- Safeguard Your Budget: Discover how to meet budgeting challenges many districts are facing during the pandemic as well as how to get supplies, purchase shared services, solve transportation issues, and more. Check out the session, “How the Ed Services Commission Can Mitigate the Pandemic’s Impact on Your Budget.”
- Negotiate Remotely: In “Labor Negotiations in a Pandemic,” learn the pros and cons of virtual negotiation.
- Improve Board Meetings: Have questions about remote meeting voting? “Shedding Light on the Sunshine Law and Voting” can answer them. And “OPRA/OPMA Traps for the Unsuspecting Board Member” lends tips on understanding the laws and how to create transparency on your board.
- Stay Sustainable: Discover how schools in the Sustainable Jersey for Schools program are improving operations while saving money, and see the benefits of participating in the Digital Schools program, in “Transforming School Operations and Culture.”
- Contract, Bid and Procure Smartly: The session “Public Contracts, Bidding and Procurement” discusses how to identify and respond to legal challenges.
- Protect Your Platforms: Ensure proper cybersecurity controls are in place to keep your district’s technology safe in “K-12 Cyber-Risk Compliance.”
- Get Serious about Special Education: Learn more about special education in New Jersey, including the financial, programmatic and ethical requirements in “Special Education: A Primer for Board Members.”
- Improve Hybrid Learning: In “Re-Inventing the Classroom Experience: Learning Anywhere, Anytime,” explore strategies to improve synchronous instruction, assessment, student responsibility, and more with regard to learning whether instruction is remote or in-person.
Workshop registrants may view sessions by logging into the Workshop web portal.
Registration is Still Open
It is not too late to register for NJSBA’s Virtual Workshop 2020. The group rate for NJSBA’s Virtual Workshop 2020 includes up to 25 team members for only $900, including school board members, superintendents, school business administrators, teachers, and district staff. The individual member rate is $199 per person. Registration must be handled by the business administrator.
To add other district staff team members to the group registration, please ask your school business administrator to first add the team members to the district’s census. Please review the registration instructions before starting.
Note regarding platform access for new registrants: Please allow one full business day for login credentials to arrive via email.
Logging in for the first time? Please review the following instructions.
For more information, visit https://virtualworkshop.njsba.org/.