On Jan. 11, the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) issued a memo to clarify that the administration of statewide assessments would continue, as scheduled, during ongoing litigation.
Late last month, the New Jersey appellate court struck down the state’s requirement that students must pass two exams to graduate. State law mandates only one test. The court said the more rigorous NJDOE regulations, scheduled to take effect for the 2020 graduating class, are not authorized under the law.
The Education Law Center, with the ACLU and civil rights groups, filed the legal challenge to New Jersey’s testing requirements. The court’s decision is available here.
The memo issued last week disclosed that the NJDOE has filed a motion for partial reconsideration of the court’s decision. The NJDOE seeks relief for all students in the classes of 2019 or 2020 who met the applicable graduation assessment requirements in place as of Dec. 30, 2018.
The NJDOE issued the memo to clarify that the administration of statewide assessments would continue while the matter is in court.
“The recent decision does not affect the administration of state assessments. Districts should continue to plan for and deliver all state assessments as scheduled for Fall Block 2018 and Spring 2019. The decision has no impact on elementary and middle school assessment administration, and high schools should continue (testing) as planned, unless notified otherwise,” the Jan. 11 memo said.
The memo includes a variety of resources and information concerning the administration of the statewide assessments. NJSBA will continue to monitor the situation and provide additional information when it becomes available. Questions should be directed to the NJDOE’s Office of Assessments or (609) 376-3960.