Each year, New Jersey’s local board of education members make significant contributions to the public schools in their communities. NJSBA is currently seeking nominees for its annual Board Member of the Year award, which recognizes a local school board member whose work exemplifies commitment not only to the education of the children of his or her community, but to public education throughout the state of New Jersey.
NJSBA encourages members to nominate a board colleague who has been an outstanding trustee of public education.
NJSBA established the Board Member of the Year in 2004 to recognize the contributions of the state’s local school board members. Given annually, the award honors an individual board member for exemplary leadership, dedication to his or her development as a board member, participation in efforts to advance education governance at the local, county and state levels, and strong commitment to the children of New Jersey.
Past winners include:
- 2014 Peggy Saslow, New Milford Board of Education
- 2013 Kevin E. Ciak, Sayreville Board of Education
- 2012 Debra Roosen, North Hunterdon-Voorhees Regional Board of Education
- 2011 Diane Holzberg, Demarest Board of Education
- 2010 Linda Bond-Nelson, North Plainfield Board of Education
- 2009 Dale G. Caldwell, New Brunswick Board of Education
- 2008 Cynthia Auberger, Vernon Township Board of Education
- 2007 Cathy Moncrief, Lindenwold Board of Education
- 2006 Marie Hakim, Clifton Board of Education
- 2005 Maria Alamo, Nutley Board of Education
Nominees must have five consecutive years experience as a board of education member and must hold NJSBA’s Certificated Board Member designation. The winner will be recognized at the NJSBA Workshop 2015 in October. The deadline for receipt of nominations is 4:30 p.m. Sept. 4.
For more information and a nominations form, click on Nominations Now Being Accepted for New Jersey Board Member of the Year Award or contact Ann Marie Smith at (609) 278-5209 or via email.