The East Orange Board of Education seeks an engaged leader, who is experienced, innovative, and transparent who possesses the following characteristics:
An experienced educational leader who:
- Demonstrates the ability to connect at all levels in a diverse and complex community with different needs, expectations, and perspectives.
- Displays decisive decision-making abilities, using the appropriate data, regarding the organizational efficiencies of a complex school district or organization and is accountable for effective implementation.
- Prioritizes equity, inclusion, mental health, and student achievement, regardless of background, abilities, school, level of proficiency, or classification.
- Builds upon and elevates student success by leveraging 21st century instructional research and programming for all students and staff.
- Has the ability to use data to drive thoughtful decisions, district goals and strategic initiatives.
- Encourages student voice, values their perspective, and uses a system-wide whole child approach to support the needs of all children.
- Display fiscal and facilities responsibility through effective and equitable allocation of resources.
- Exhibits integrity and a high level of emotional intelligence.
A relationship builder who:
- Places the students at the center of every decision.
- Develops and maintains professional, collaborative, and respectful relationships with stakeholders based on a strong set of core values and mutual trust.
- Seeks input prior to making decisions, communicates the rationale behind each decision, and stands firm once a decision is made.
- Develops, empowers, and holds accountable an effective leadership team and staff.
- Recruit and retain diversified staff reflective of the community and district population.
- Fosters an open and safe learning environment.
A transparent communicator who:
- Communicates regularly, clearly, and concisely in a way that engages and values all stakeholders.
- Creates a sense of community around a shared vision of excellence.
- Demonstrates courage in the face of challenges and the ability to navigate complex situations with confidence and empathy.
- Invests in the community by being visible, present, approachable, and actively engaged in district and community events.
A successful candidate will:
- Have exemplary, executive-level educational leadership experience in an urban/suburban learning environment.
- Have or be immediately eligible for a New Jersey School Administrator Certificate.
- Urban school district experience, preferred.
Compensation: Salary in the range of $250,000 depending upon qualifications, experience, and credentials and subject to negotiations. Benefits similar to other district employees, applicable NJ statutes and subject to negotiation.
*Note: Letters may be addressed to Marissa McKenzie, Board Secretary