The New Jersey Department of Education invites New Jersey local educational agencies to join in celebrating Earth Day 2023 on April 22nd and throughout the entire week of April 17- 22, 2023, according to an advisory.
Earth Day is an annual event held April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First held in 1970, Earth Day now includes a wide range of events coordinated globally by EarthDay.org and countless other organizations in engaging 1 billion people in more than 193 countries. The theme of Earth Day 2023 is Invest in Our Planet, focused on engaging governments, institutions, businesses and individuals to do their part to protect the planet.
Engagement and Celebrations
LEAs can join in celebrating Earth Day by:
- Sharing their Earth Day activities, events, or lessons highlighting the 2020 Climate Change Education standards on social media, utilizing the hashtags #climateawareNJ and #investinourplanet.
- Hosting a community clean up or similar event in celebration of Earth Day. Resources are available on the Earthday.org website.
- Completing this short Earth Day 2023 District Activities Survey with information about Earth Day events hosted in the districts.
LEAs are also encouraged to take advantage of the following resources:
- The New Jersey Department of Education’s Climate Change Education Resources Webpage.
- The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection’s State Environmental Education Directory Webpage.
- Earth Day 2023 Resources from EarthDay.org.