The New Jersey School Boards Association is seeking a full-time accounting manager. This dynamic individual will join the Finance and Operations Division.
The starting salary is $95,003.
- Manage the monthly/year-end accounting closing process.
- Prepare and review journal entries for all transaction cycles (revenue, purchasing and payables, payroll, fixed assets and general) to ensure accuracy and sufficient documentation.
- Post journal entries to the general ledger.
- Review monthly activity from Cobalt (management system) and prepare the related revenue and balance sheet journal entries.
- Maintain and prepare revenue recognition, amortization and prepaid worksheets, and the related journal entries.
- Run financial statement reports in Great Plains.
- Prepare monthly financial highlights narrative to summarize the Association’s financial results and budget variances.
- Prepare account reconciliations to ensure the accuracy of general ledger balances.
- Maintain Management Reporting Designer in Great Plains for all reporting requirements and make the necessary changes to reports.
- Review and validate product and account codes in Cobalt for month-end application to the proper general ledger account.
- Close out periods in Great Plains and roll forward year-end balances.
- Act as finance lead on financial system implementations and enhancements.
- Manage the year-end audit process.
- Coordinate the audit plan and timing with the auditors.
- Prepare account summaries and reconciliations requested by the auditors.
- Respond to auditors’ inquiries.
- Draft the footnotes to the audited financial statements.
- Supervise the work of the finance staff.
- Review weekly batch of vendor checks and voucher packages for completeness and accuracy of account classifications.
- Review all payroll entries for accuracy.
- Process the replenishment of the payroll account when required.
- Ensure cash receipts are deposited promptly and posted accurately.
- Manage accounts receivable collection efforts with members and other customers to collect past-due amounts.
- Work with the accounts receivable coordinator so that dues and other voluntary membership invoices are accurately prepared and sent promptly.
- Process expense reports biweekly in ExpenseWire to ensure employees are reimbursed promptly in conjunction with their net pay.
- Load annual budget into Great Plains.
- Prepare any financial schedules required for the quarterly Audit Committee meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in public accounting, with experience in internal and external auditing practices.
- Two to four years of experience in corporate, commercial or government agency accounting, with experience to include financial reporting, month-end and year-end closing, managing the general ledger, and including exposure to accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
- Experience in financial analysis in a highly detailed accounting function.
- Experience working with month-end and year-end deadlines in accounting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 apps including Teams, Lists, SharePoint, One Drive, Forms and traditional Office Apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Experience and understanding of Great Plains accounting software.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
Analytical skills, attention to detail, verbal and written communication skills, timely decision making, quality decision making, organizational skills and priority setting.
Prolonged period of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. The ability to walk, stand, drive, and carry items up to 20 lbs.
Interested candidates should apply by Dec. 27.
*Onboarding training will be in the NJSBA’s Trenton office for six weeks.