The New Jersey School Boards Association is seeking an accounting manager to join its Finance and Operations Division.
The salary will start at $95,003. This is a full-time position that offers a hybrid work schedule, with some time being spent at the Association’s Trenton headquarters.
- Manage the monthly/year-end accounting closing process.
- Prepare and review journal entries for all transaction cycles (revenue, purchasing and payables, payroll, fixed assets and general) to ensure accuracy and sufficient documentation.
- Post journal entries to the general ledger.
- Review monthly activity from Cobalt (Association Management System) and prepare the related revenue and balance sheet journal entries.
- Maintain and prepare revenue recognition, amortization and prepaid worksheets, and the related journal entries.
- Run financial statement reports in Great Plains.
- Prepare monthly financial highlights narrative to summarize the Associations financial results and budget variances.
- Prepare account reconciliations to ensure the accuracy of general ledger balances.
- Maintain Management Reporting Designer in Great Plains for all reporting requirements and make the necessary changes to reports.
- Review and validate product and account codes in Cobalt for month-end application to the proper general ledger account.
- Close out periods in Great Plains and roll forward year-end balances.
- Act as finance lead on financial system implementations and enhancements.
- Manage the year-end audit process.
- Coordinate the audit plan and timing with the auditors.
- Prepare account summaries and reconciliations requested by the auditors.
- Respond to auditors’ inquiries.
- Draft the footnotes to the audited financial statements.
- Supervise the work of the finance staff.
- Review weekly batch of vendor checks and voucher packages for completeness and accuracy of account classifications.
- Review all payroll entries for accuracy.
- Process the replenishment of the payroll account when required.
- Ensure cash receipts are deposited promptly and posted accurately.
- Manage accounts receivable collection efforts with members and other customers to collect past-due amounts.
- Work with the accounts receivable coordinator so that dues and other voluntary membership invoices are accurately prepared and sent promptly.
- Process expense reports biweekly in ExpenseWire to ensure employees are reimbursed promptly in conjunction with their net pay.
- Load annual budget into Great Plains.
- Prepare any financial schedules required for the quarterly Audit Committee meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in public accounting, with experience in internal and external auditing practices.
- Two to four years’ experience in corporate, commercial or government agency accounting, with experience including financial reporting, month-end and year-end closing and managing the general ledger.
- Experience in financial analysis in a highly detailed accounting function.
- Experience working with month end and year-end deadlines in accounting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 apps including Teams, Lists, SharePoint, One Drive, Forms and traditional Office apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Experience and understanding of Great Plains accounting software.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
Analytical skills, attention to detail, verbal and written communication skills, timely decision making, quality decision making, organizational skills and priority setting.
Prolonged period of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Ability to walk, stand, drive and carry items up to 20 lbs.
- Health and dental insurance.
- Flexible spending account.
- Long-term disability.
- Life insurance.
- Paid time off.
- Retirement pension plan.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- 403b and 457b plans.
NJSBA complies with all state and federal employment obligations including the New Jersey First Act. This Act requires all NJSBA employees, hired on or after Sept. 1, 2011, to currently reside in New Jersey or relocate within one year of their hire date.
Affirmative action / equal opportunity employer.
*Onboarding training will be in the office for six weeks*
Please submit a resume by March 2, 2023.