The New Jersey Department of Education recently outlined details for participating in the summer administration of the New Jersey Graduation Proficiency Assessment in an advisory.
The summer NJGPA will be administered in person from July 24 through July 28, 2023. Make-up testing will be administered in person from July 31 through Aug. 4, 2023.
The summer administration of NJGPA provides a retake or initial testing opportunity for students who are scheduled to graduate in the class of 2024. Local educational agencies must offer targeted support prior to any student retaking one or both components of the assessment. Students who are eligible to participate in the summer administration of NJGPA include:
- Students who took the NJGPA in spring 2023 but did not meet the minimum 725 cut-score on one or both components of the assessment.
- Students who did not take one or both components of the NJGPA during spring 2023, including but not limited to:
- Newly arrived English learners who were exempt from taking the English Language Arts component at the time of testing.
- Students who were absent from school on all testing dates or unable to test due to medical reasons.
- Students who enrolled in New Jersey public schools after the administration window closed.
- Students who were tenth graders based on credit status at the time of spring testing but attained enough credits to transition to twelfth credit status at the conclusion of the 2022-2023 regular school year.
Please note that a student must test in each component of the NJGPA in order to access the second or third pathway for that specific component. Please see the Graduation Assessment Requirements webpage for more details.
In the full advisory, the NJDOE provides extensive information on training, manuals and resources; information on paper test materials; how LEAs can import student data directly to the PearsonAccessnext platform; and more. The initial upload window for the summer administration opened July 5, and LEAs may continue to make updates to student data prior to and throughout the testing window until the district data clean-up window closes on Aug. 11, 2023. Students taking the paper-based versions of the assessments must be included in the student registration upload.
For any questions regarding the summer NJGPA administration, please contact the Office of Assessments at 609- 376-3960 or via email.