The harassment, intimidation and bullying 338 forms for the 2023-2024 school year are now available on the New Jersey Department of Education’s HIB website.
The standardized HIB 338 Form for LEA Personnel and HIB 338 Form for Families/Caregivers, collectively referred to as the HIB 338 forms, are meant to promote consistency in the manner in which HIB allegations are reported, according to a memo from the NJDOE.
Following the release of the forms in August 2022, the NJDOE solicited feedback from LEAs on potential ways to improve the format, content and use of the forms. It incorporated that feedback into the updated HIB 338 forms that must be used for the 2023-2024 school year.
In addition to formatting adjustments, the revised forms include:
- A timestamp box to document the date and time the report is received. This box also includes space for an optional incident number should an LEA use a system to track alleged incidents of HIB.
- A section where the individual completing the form can sign and date the document.
- Language for families/caregivers who prefer to report anonymously to include their name in the list of witnesses so they may remain anonymous yet still contribute to the investigation.
- Additional guidance on the use of the preliminary determination and specific next steps for each role.
The most significant revision was made to the HIB 338 form for LEA Personnel. LEA personnel cannot anonymously report allegations of HIB and, in fact, must submit the HIB 338 form to the principal within two school days of witnessing or receiving reliable information that a student has been subject to HIB (N.J.S.A. 18A:37-15b(5)).
Moreover, LEA personnel must respond to all items in the “individual completing this form” section and cooperate with any related HIB investigations. In addition to contributing helpful information to intervene when allegations of HIB are reported, LEA personnel are essential to the development of safe school environments that prevent HIB from occurring.
- Incorporate the newly revised HIB 338 forms into LEA procedures for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Provide a means for caregivers to complete the HIB 338 Form for Families and Caregivers online, confidentially and anonymously.
- Post the HIB 338 forms on the LEA’s website.
For questions, please email the Office of Student Support Services.