The official school and district harassment, intimidation, and bullying grade reports, as required under the Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act (P.L. 2020, c. 122), are now available for public release, according to an advisory issued by the New Jersey Department of Education.

Key Steps/Actions

  1. School districts must access their official HIB Grade Reports dated May 8, 2024, through the HIB Grades application on the NJDOE’s Homeroom webpage. Directions for accessing the reports can be found in the guidance document on the Commissioner’s Program for Determining Grades’ website.
  2. Districts and schools are required to post the official reports on their websites by May 22, 2024.
  3. District officials must review the district and school grades at a public board of education meeting.

The Commissioner’s Program for Determining Grades under the Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act should be part of an integrated process to strengthen school climate and culture through prevention and intervention that addresses harassment, intimidation and bullying. District and school staff are encouraged to use the data to educate staff and the community about current school practices and engage them in identifying and addressing areas for improvement.

Additional resources for districts and schools to utilize regarding school climate can be found in the School Climate Strategy Resource Guide  which was created as a companion to the New Jersey School Climate Improvement Survey, a valid and reliable, no-cost school climate survey that is available to all public schools in New Jersey. For more information on how the survey can help your school district assess its school climate and make data-driven decisions on program implementation, visit the NJ SCI survey platform.

Visit the Commissioner’s Program for Determining Grades website for information on:

  • Accessing and interpreting the grades.
  • Board of Education public meeting requirements.
  • School and district website posting requirements.

For any questions, contact either your County Office of Education or email the NJDOE.