The STEAM Tank Challenge, created by the New Jersey School Boards Association, encourages education in STEAM – science, technology, engineering, the arts and math – for New Jersey’s public-school students. The STEAM Tank Challenge is an opportunity for students to reimagine and redesign New Jersey to ensure our state is sustainable, healthy, equitable and a safe place for everyone to live, work and play.
This year’s theme is Spark Innovation!
STEAM Tank is open-ended to maximize student creativity. It helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that will serve them in their future careers and everyday lives. The competition asks district teams to invent something new, modify an existing product, or identify a situation or real-world problem that needs resolution. The challenge includes an emphasis on sustainability and climate change.
Benefits of Participating in the STEAM Tank Challenge
- Access to a comprehensive STEAM Tank Playbook, a “how-to” guide for STEAM Tank participation.
- Opportunity to collaborate with other teams, educators and subject matter experts in the STEAM Tank Community.
- The chance to schedule mentoring sessions with subject matter experts.
- Opportunity to present in the STEAM Tank Regionals and Finals, and if chosen, receive prize money for your school or district.
- Earn a STEAM Tank Digital Badge for your school.
Survey Highlights the Benefits of STEAM Tank
The NJ Safe Schools Program, in collaboration with staff of NJSBA STEAM Tank Challenge as well as New Jersey Audubon, conducted a survey from mid-January to mid-February 2023 before STEAM Tank completed its 2023 competition. According to an article published by the New Jersey Education Association, “The goal of the survey was to target teachers and administrators who served as coaches to K-12 teams in 2021 and/or 2022. The objective was to capture their experiences with NJSBA STEAM Tank during years 2021-2022, as presented as a virtual program during COVID-19.”
Findings from the survey include:
- Participants clearly believed the Virtual NJSBA STEAM Tank Challenge helped continue the learning process during COVID-19.
- Most survey participants agreed the Virtual NJSBA STEAM Tank Challenge in 2021 and 2022 helped teach concepts of STEAM as well as climate change and sustainability.
The results of the survey are clear: The STEAM Tank Challenge continues to be a successful educational enrichment experience for children throughout New Jersey.
Read the full article highlighting the findings from the survey.
Participate in STEAM Tank!
Apply to participate in the 2024 STEAM Tank Challenge The submission deadline is Monday, Dec. 11, 2023.
To learn more, please contact Jennifer Siehl, manager, STEAM Tank, via email.
Do not miss this opportunity. Apply today!