Scores of legal professionals that specialize in serving school districts as well as board members and other education leaders attended the New Jersey School Boards Association’s Fall School Law Forum, which it organized with its Associate Membership Program for School Attorneys.
Dr. Timothy Purnell, executive director of NJSBA, greeted attendees at the Dec. 14 event, which was held at the FEA Conference Center in Monroe Township and marked the first time it was held in person since the start of the pandemic. Purnell thanked attendees for their commitment to education and noted that the next Fall School Law Forum would be part of the Association’s annual Workshop in Atlantic City.
Karen Bingert, executive director of the New Jersey Principals and Supervisors Association; Michael F. Kaelber, president of the New Jersey Association of School Attorneys; and Kathleen Asher, senior manager of the Legal and Labor Relations Department at NJSBA, also welcomed attendees before turning the program over to presenters.
Speakers explored recent developments and emerging issues in school law. Practicing school board attorneys shared research and highlighted recent court decisions, administrative rulings, statutes and regulations that affect public education and school district governance.
The agenda included:
- School Law Case Law and Legislative Review: Katrina M. Homel, legal counsel at NJSBA; and John Burns, senior legislative counsel at NJSBA.
- Special Education Issues in the Post-COVID Era: Nathanya G. Simon, Scarinci and Hollenbeck; and Cherie Adams, Adams, Guitierrez and Lattiboudere.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging: Patrick F. Carrigg, The Lenox Law Group; and William S. Donio, Cooper Levenson.
- Student Records Update: Vittorio S. LaPira, Fogarty & Hara, Esqs.
- Truancy and School Refusal: Joanne L. Butler, Schenck Price, Smith and King, LLP; and David L. Disler, Porzio, Bromberg and Newman.
- Establishment Clause and Schools – Then and Now: Frances L. Febres, Mark A. Wenczel and Robert DeMarco, Cleary Giacobbe Alfieri Jacobs, LLC
- Legal Ethics – A Year in Review: David B. Rubin, of counsel to the Busch Law Group, LLC.
Stay tuned to School Board Notes for updates about the next School Law Forum.