In recognition of school board members’ service, leadership and contributions to education, NJSBA has established the New Jersey Board of Education Member of the Year Award. Given annually, the award honors an individual board member who: makes significant contributions to public education; exemplifies leadership in the field of education with a strong commitment to the children of New Jersey; demonstrates a strong commitment to his/her personal and professional development as a board member; and shows active involvement in school governance at the local, county and state levels.
Nominations for the New Jersey Board of Education Member of the Year must be submitted on the nomination form. Board members, superintendents, business officials, staff and community members may nominate individuals for the award. County Associations may nominate board members from their own counties.
Current NJSBA officers and staff may not nominate candidates for the award nor may current NJSBA officers be nominated for the award.
Criteria for Nomination
- Current member of a local board of education at the time the application is received
- Served a minimum of 5 consecutive years on his/her local board of education
- Certified Board Member through the NJSBA Board Member Academy
- Demonstrated leadership, service and contribution to education at the local, county and state levels
All nominations are to:
- Be made on the nomination form provided by NJSBA. No more than three pages of additional data, inclusive of the statement of the board member’s contributions, may be submitted with the nomination.
- Include in the application a statement of the board member’s unique and recognized achievements in the areas of service, leadership and contributions to education at the local, county and state levels.
- Be received no later than 4:30 p.m. on September 9, 2022. No late entries will be considered, and will be returned to the person entering the nomination.
- All information requested on the nomination form must be provided.
All eligible nominations are forwarded to the officers of another state school boards association. These officers review the nominations, select the winner of the New Jersey award and forward their selection to the NJSBA President.
The New Jersey Board of Education Member of the Year will be recognized in the following manner:
- Recognized at an NJSBA’s Workshop 2022 in Atlantic City.
- Presented with a plaque conveying the honor.
- Recognized through a news release sent to statewide and local media.
- Recognized in School Board Notes.
- Featured in an issue of School Leader magazine.
Email nomination forms with signature (electronic signatures are acceptable) to:
Ann Marie Smith: email@example.com
Subject line: 2022-23 NJ Board of Education Member of the Year Award
Any questions, contact Ann Marie Smith.