Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The resources below include a variety of articles focused on DEI; a Facebook Live event featuring NJSBA’s Educator in Residence, Vincent DeLucia; a podcast with a former New Jersey commissioner of education and more.
- Sustainable Jersey for Schools: Social Equity Resources and Grant, Training and Award Opportunities
- What You Need to Know About Educational Equity and Critical Race Theory
- Leadership Tips: Equity in a Divided Community
- Equity Council Corner: How ‘Equity’ Can Help Students Succeed
- Equity Council Corner: Inherent Bias and Microaggressions
- Equity Council Corner: Looking at Equity in Distance Learning
- Equity Council Corner: A National Look at the Digital Divide
- Equity Council Corner: How Implicit Bias Penetrates Society
- N.J. Board Members Attend National Advocacy Institute and Equity Symposium
- Equity Council Corner: What Is Implicit Bias?
- Equity Council Corner
- N.J. Commissioner of Education Stresses Equity in Video
Social Media Resources
Facebook Live Event
Facebook Live Event: Special Topics – Equity in the Virtual Classroom Join us for a conversation about the equity challenges districts are facing as they move further into the new school year. NJSBA’s Educator in Residence Vincent DeLucia will discuss hidden biases, social-emotional learning and the role that schools play in social justice. There will also be discussion on the positive impact of collaboration, and the challenges of homeschooling children with special needs.
A Conversation on the Importance of Equity in Education
What is equity in education? How is it different from equality? What are some inherent biases that could affect students? How do equity issues play out in schools? Please join us as former New Jersey Education Commissioner Kimberley Harrington Markus discusses the importance of school districts addressing equity with NJSBA’s Ray Pinney.
The New Jersey Department of Education Recently Released a Webpage of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Educational Resources here
Recommended Reading on Equity
- Albert, Linda: Cooperative Discipline, Ags Pub, 1996
- Angelou, Maya: And Still I Rise, Random House, 1978
- Blankstein, Alan and Noguera, Pedro and Kelly, Lorena: Excellence through Equity: Five Principles of Courageous Leadership to Guide Achievement for Every Student, ASCD, 2017
- Bridges, Ruby: This Is Your Time, Delacorte Press, 2020
- Coates, Ta-Nehisi: Between the World and Me, One World, 2015
- DiTomaso, Nancy: The American Non-Dilemma: Racial Inequality without Racism, Russell Sage Foundation, 2013.
- Dweck, Carol: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, Ballantine Books, Updated Edition, 2007
- Gay, Geneva: Culturally Responsive Teaching: Theory, Research and Practice, Teachers College Press, Third Edition, 2018
- Glaude, Eddie S. Jr.: Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own, Crown, 2020.
- Holloway, Jonathan Scott: Jim Crow Wisdom: Memory and Identity in Black America Since 1940, University of North Carolina Press, 2013.
- Jackson, Yvette: The Pedagogy of Confidence: Inspiring High Intellectual Performance in Urban Schools, Teachers College Press, 2011
- Obama, Barack: A Promised Land, Crown, 2020.
- Sinek, Simon: Start with WHY, Portfolio, 2009.
- Walker, Margaret: For My People, Yale University Press, 2019